A-OK (Acts of Kindness) Detroit
Working Side by Side to Make a Difference
- Leading community organizations participating — Council of Islamic Organizations of MI, ACCESS, Interfaith Leadership Council of Metropolitan Detroit, , City Year Detroit, City of Detroit, United Way, WISDOM, J-Serve and Focus: HOPE –have joined together to commemorate Sunday, September 11th, the tenth anniversary of 9/11, as a busy day of community service and interfaith and intercultural interaction in our region.
- The Acts of Kindness (A-OK) mission is to transform 9/11 from a day of mourning into a day for people to come together and work side by side to make their community a better place to live.
- Community service is a way for us to emerge from a decade of division and destruction to become a society that pulls together to care for one another. In this way, we turn a negative (9/11) into something hopeful and positive.
- With this new approach, 9/11 becomes a day to learn about each other’s interests, families, faith traditions, and a day in which we can find our commonality as human beings. Our focus is on our common missions of unity, peace, community-building and mutual understanding.
- When we work together, we reduce myths and stereotypes about the “other,” and enhance respect and understanding.
- Last year we made a difference in Southwest Detroit. This year we must continue to maintain our relationships and move forward to break down our cultural, ethnic and religious segregation in Metro Detroit. The A-OK committee is working to do just that – getting more people together to talk, break bread together, perform community service together, and find out what we all have in common.
- Focus hope will be hosting us
- Focus: HOPE’s mission is to use “intelligent and practical action to overcome racism, poverty and injustice,” making it an ideal organization to partner with for a day of service. In addition, Focus: HOPE has extensive experience in enlisting volunteers to work in its food, education, and community revitalization efforts.